This is a first in the series “my favourite places in delhi”…….the first bona fide commercial destination in Delhi and before I proceed any further, here’s a recap to my other favourite places in Delhi (click on the links to see previous posts)
#1 India gate
# 4 Dilli Haat
Delhi’s got its own share of big malls, shopping arcades & complexes….. and then it’s got Khan Market.
To say its market would be like stating the fact that tulip is just a flower….
Located amidst the poshest residential and institutional areas in Delhi, khan market is the hippest shopping and recreational hangout in the city.
Its my favorite destination to shop, eat out or indulge in beauty therapies.
The USP of this place is location, brands and crowds..all the three interrelated to each other and creating a unique ambience, which cannot be experienced at any of the big malls in the city.
Due to its location, the Market sees a heavy influx of diplomats, artists, models, socialites and crème of Indian bureaucracy (and also some poor working girls like myself!!)……to cater to such crowd, there are shops, salons, cafes, restaurants & pubs of the best kind …..
The spirit of the place is solely due to the crowds and the best time to experience the quirky mix people hanging out from world over is the winters and I spend endless hours with my best gal friend chatting and observing people here…..
I shop here often and my favourite salon is also located here, so I get my haircuts and pedicures/manicures done here too…..but my most favourite activity here is to just sit out at the various cafes and chat with my buddies/girl friends; Our group of childhood buddies have contemplated many sad phases, relationship troubles, break ups, work pressures etc etc over coffee at the various cafes here and whenever I go back to any of them, I just remember those days with nostalgia…
My favourite brands/shops here are
- FabIndia – Khan Market Fab Store has got the best and most extensive collection among all the stores in delhi.
- Anokhi – Best place to get authentic block printed stuff of Jaipur.
- Amrapali – Im in love with their silver jewellery and at Khan Market outlet, they have an extensive collection.
- Accessorize – Love this KMOutlet, they stock lotsa stuff
- Triumph – Love their lingere, I buy lots from this KM outlet
- The Body Shop – A very extensive collection at this outlet
- Forest Essentials – A very extensive collection at this outlet
- Benetton – At KM outlet, they stock very different stuff, which I don’t usually find in other outlets.
- House of Ishtavam – Very good home ware.
- Happily Unmarried –Stuff like mugs, coasters, photo frames with a quirky twist
- Dastkari Haat – All Things Indian and handcrafted from rural India under one roof.
My favourite eating out/hang out zones here are:
· Café Turtle
· Khan Chacha’s
· Big Chill
above pic – me and mah best gal friend hanging out at khan market
I am still exploring this place and constantly try to shop/eat out at different places to experience the variety this place offers…..
I would definitely recommend Khan Market as a destination to all people who want to experience the best of what Delhi has to offer in terms of shopping and eating out…..and crowds ofcouse!!!
[photo courtesy: various blogs and flickr photo uploads, thank you all of you!!]