It’s March and there’s this fabulous long weekend of Good Friday/Holi to relax, rejuvenate from our busy work lives. It’s also a great opportunity to travel and the long weekend this month of March is of 5 whole days (starts from choti Holi which falls on Wednesday, Holi is Thursday, then Good Friday and then obviously the weekend) and even if one doesn’t count the Wednesday, there are full 4 days!! There are some great destinations from Delhi/NCR which can be covered in the long weekend of March and I have compiled a list here of top 10 destinations for long weekend getaway from Delgi/NCR, based on my previous long weekend and summer travels. All of these destinations
can be covered in 4 days. So here we go:
1. The Glasshouse on the Ganges, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand – I keep going to Rishikesh in Uttarakhand once in a while, but the best experience for me and my family out of those numerous trios have been a weekend getaway at The Glasshouse on the Ganges, by Neemrana Hotels in Rishikesh. The property is located away from the main town and by river Ganga. We stayed in the luxury tent and it was a most lovely experience (read here). If you want to spend a lazy weekend by nature in Rishikesh, this is one place you should try out.
2. Dhanaulti,Uttarakhand – Lesser known but very near to its more famous (and crowded) cousin Mussorie, Dhanaulti is full of deodhar trees and laid back life. There are eco-cottages here by govt. of uttarakhand tourism department and also couple of lodges.
3. Bhimtal in Kumaon, Uttarakhand – While there is the famous (and totally crowded and commericalized) Nainital in Kumaon region of Uttarakhand, I prefer to recommend Bhimtal, which is laid back and more greener. There are some pretty homestays here and we stayed with one of the top recommended ones – Emerald Trail and we loved our time here. We went for long walks in the woods, spend lazy afternoons on the swing, eating homemade food and when it rained (one evening, sat in one cozy corner with chai & pakoras eading books).
4. Chamba-Tehri-Kanatal in Uttarakhand – Depending on the number of days one has, one can either do only Chamba-Tehri /Kanatal-Tehri or all the three(Chamba-Tehri-Kanatal). There is a decent GVMN cottage in Chamba which is easy on the pocket and there are some nice homestays in Kanatal (there’s a new eco-homestay called Pahari house that’s just opened up and I am tempted to try it out next time I visit Kanatal). One can stay at either of these destinations and take a day trip to Tehri Dam & new Tehri town. There is also Surkhanda Devi Temple here nearby Kanatal.
5. Kasauli in Himachal Pradesh – If you thought I was biased towards Uttarakhand for long weekend getaways, be assured I am not (its just we have second home in haridwar and so going to other places in Uttarakhand is much more easier if we are already planning to visit Haridwar). Kasauli is my original love and choice for a long weekend from Delhi, I have been here twice and completely love this place. Thanks to being an army cantonment, it has and will not be commercialized. I would recommend to stay at Ros Common which is the only property inside the heritage town (and away from the commercial activity once one goes out of the army cantonment area). Long walks are strongly recommended here to truly appreciate the beauty of this pretty hilltown.
6. Neemrana Fort Palace in Rajasthan – Neemana Fort Palace, on NH 8 is well known and doesn’t need recommendation (or hardsell). It is the easiest to get to from Delhi/NCR and at the price it charges, it offers impeccable services for the luxury heritage tourism segment it promotes to its customers. I can go back there many many times!!
7. Kesroli Fort Palace in Alwar, Rajasthan – This property, also by Neemrana hotels is located at a vantage point between vast fields and makes for a wonderful getaway in winters and spring. So March is the perfect month to come here and from next month, it will be too hot to visit here (but they now
have pools, so summers are also taken care of, in a way!!)
8. Pushkar in Rajasthan – We keep going to Pushkar once in a while and landed up during Ganesh Visharjan there. Oh what a beautiful experience it was!! The whole town was celebrating and every visitor was part of it. So I guess Holi would not be different!!! It’s a Shatabdi train ride away from Delhi (train terminates at Ajmer and it takes only 40 minutes to 1 hour by taxi to Pushkar main town).
9. Haridwar in Uttarakhand – You might think why Haridwar!! Well, you have to experience Haridwar differently (like I do). Look beyond Har ki Pauri, stay with the hotels out of the main town (Sarovar Portico is one of them) and go visit some of lesser frequented ghats. Walk in the narrow lanes of old haridwar and discover some gastronomic delights. Haridwar is actually fun (and spiritual).
10. Dadhikar Fort Palace, Alwar in Rajasthan – This is only place we went for day tour and completely loved it. Located away from Alwar main town, it’s usp is the location and views.
long weekend getaways from Delhi/NCR is helpful to you guys & gals!!
Long Weekend March Travelling!!