Haridwar , literally meaning ‘ abode of Lord Vishnu’ is one of the holiest cities in India and millions of people visit it every year. Located at the foothills of the Himalayas in the state of Uttarakhand, it is one of the most revered pilgrimages for Hindus the world over. We tell you 5 must do things in the holy city of Haridwar:-
1) Bath at Har Ki Pauri Ghat
– Har Ki Pauri is an ancient and principle holy bank on Ganga river at Haridwar. The Ganga flows with a rush here and the waters are cool all year round(even in the scorching summers). Taking a cool dip or a bath here is not only spiritual to the body & soul but quite fun too. One can see huge crowds taking baths here and they all seem to be having a lot of fun.
2) Gorging on food in Haridwar streets – Haridwar has the most yummy and interesting food. The old streets adjoining the ghats are lines with shops selling traditional Indian foods and also spicy street food. Our pick are the aloo puris at Mohanji Puri vale, kachauris at Kashyap Kachori vala, lunch & dinner at Hoshiarpuri Hotel and sweets at Prachin Mathura valon ki dukan. For the trendy, there is also a Domino’s pizza which has opened up recently.
– Yes, there can be such a thing called temple hopping at Haridwar. This place being an important place in hindu mythology, there are a number of temples and shrines dedicated to various gods & goddesses. One can spend an entire day here visiting the various temples and also ashrams here. Special mention here would be of Kankhal, where there is temple dedicated to Daksha (father in law of Lord Shiva) and in hindu mythology, Sati immersed herself in flames not able to bear the taunts by her father heaped on her husband Lord Shiva at the very spot of the sanctum sanctorum.
4) Evening arti at Har ki Pauri
– When one is done with all the temple hopping all day long, give yourself some rest with the visually and soul enriching evening arti held at the Har ki Pauri ghat. It is held at sundown; therefore, the timing keeps changing as per seasons.
5) Shopping– A visit to Haridwar is incomplete without shopping (atleast for the ladies!!). The streets of Haridwar town are filled with shops selling a whole range of interesting knick knacks, which include religious beads, prayer items, clothing, bangles,etc. So, one is literally spoilt for choice.
So, if you plan to visit Haridwar anytime soon, do indulge in these 5 must haves for both a fun filled and spiritually enriching travel experience.
Note: This article was also published in The Other Home Blog (read here)